Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Traffic Update

No, this isn't a post about the state of traffic in Seattle. It's an update on the run I am participating in this Saturday to raise awareness about human trafficking. There was an article in this morning's local paper about how it is increasing worldwide.

Something really struck me in the article. My state, Washington, became the first to pass a law making it illegal...in 2003. This shocked me on a couple of levels. 2003 was only 5 years ago. That means prior to that, human trafficking was legal here. Really? It's one of those things I guess you just take for granted...you assume "of course it's not legal to sell another human being into slavery." What's even scarier is that since Washington passed the law, only 28 other states have followed suit. Hello?? That means that today, in 21 states, it is STILL LEGAL TO SELL ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. I thought this was the United States of America...land of the free. It's heartbreaking. And something I don't think too many people think about on a regular basis.

I haven't had the chance yet to research which states have enacted the law and which ones haven't but plan to do so this weekend. After the run there are booths and live music...I am hoping to gather more information then as well. I will be sure to report back with my findings, and hopefully ways we can work to put an end to this in all 50 states. Stay tuned.

No comments: