Thursday, July 3, 2008

Home Grown: It's Berry Time!

No, not home grown as in I grew them myself --unfortunately. I want to highlight local businesses and organizations whenever I come across them in order to promote buying local and living sustainably. So, whenever you see a "home grown" post you'll know it's featuring something I've found locally!

We try to buy local and organic whenever possible. This time of year that means lots of veggies and fruits- yea! There is a fairly new organization on Bainbridge Island called Sustainable Bainbridge which focuses on the environmental, economical and social concerns of our community! They are tackling things such as the plastic grocery bag issue, green buildings, and what I want to highlight here - Sound Food. This site is a great resource for anyone who lives on Bainbridge as it has a map of the local farms, offers resources for buying local and what that means, recipes, and lots more. One of the coolest things they have implemented this year is a Ferry Farm Stand - every Wednesday at the ferry terminal on Bainbridge they offer locally grown produce in convenient $5 bags. The program just started last week. I made sure to have cash on me, but low and behold, it was so popular that by the time my ferry arrived, they had already sold out. Bummer for me but great for them as all proceeds go directly to the farmers! I wasn't about to miss out again yesterday. With my $5 in hand I headed towards the front of the boat as it was approaching the dock in order to be one of the first off...it paid off...

I was able to get 1 Quart of fresh, juicy and oh so sweet LOCAL strawberries...YUM! Can't you almost taste them just looking at them? (something tells me #4 will have eaten them all by the time I get home tonight!)


Please pass along any local organizations or businesses you know that are working to make the world a better place. I'd love to know about them, and get the word out.

Have a safe and fun 4th of July!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't wait for some jam!

Jill said...

You know it's finally summer when I'm mashin' the berries :)