Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm a Loaner!

We're back from celebrating #4's birthday. We had an amazing time in the Methow Valley and I will certainly be posting about that later in the week. Right now I'm busy catching up on work and such. The post below is from when I first started a (now defunct) blog nearly a year ago. Unlike that blog, I am committed to keeping this one going! (as an update to the post below: my loan has almost completely been paid back!)

********************************************************************
Kiva.org

I just heard about this new site about a week ago. I've visited it several times since, and after reading every last thing on their site, I can't come up with one good reason why I would NOT become a "loaner." So, I did. I took the plunge and made my very first personal micro loan to a woman in Ecuador.

The thing that is so great about the concept of Kiva.org, and other micro loan organizations like Global Partnerships, etc., is that it's not just "charity." You (the lender) are helping others help themselves. I don't believe one single person on this planet deserves to live in poverty. Nor do I believe anyone wishes it upon themselves or others. Being a "loaner" I am helping someone build their business from the ground up and helping them achieve success in their business that they may not have otherwise had, given their circumstances.

I may not be able to contribute a lot, but even a small amount I, or anyone else for that matter, is able to loan, is an integral piece in helping end the horrible cylcle of poverty.

Check it out and see what you think! Kiva.org

No comments: